Because “hey” isn’t going to cut it.
I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you're trying to get a convo going with your crush, you can do better than texting them "hey 🙂." The best conversation starters are ones that inspire curiosity, invite a response, and open the door to other topics — and I'm sorry to say that "hey" does none of those things. If you're in need of texts that start a conversation with your crush when you're bored and looking to chat, then I've got some suggestions that are sure to pique their interest.
The best way to get a playful conversation going is to keep things light. (For example, it's probably best not to open the conversation with "What is your greatest fear? Mine is dying alone.") Questions are the best way to instigate a convo (because, you know, they require a response). You can ask your crush for their opinions, reviews, preferences, and recommendations on any number of topics, and sometimes, the most random questions lead to the most interesting conversations. Here are just a few questions you can use to get the ball rolling (and help you learn a little bit more about your crush in the process).
- Have you seen Love Is Blind? If so, plz share your thoughts, because I honestly don't know what to think.
- I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the city who didn't realize it was going to rain today and didn't come prepared with an umbrella. Is your day going better than mine?
- I'm trying to pick a movie to watch and I'm curious: Is Parasite as good as everyone says?
- I'm taking a poll on which is better: Disney World or Disneyland? And yes, there is a right answer.
- Will you go to this rescue puppy website and help me pick out a dog? I'm not actually getting one, but I like to pretend I am.
- I'm trying to plan my next vacation. What does your ideal trip involve: camping, hiking, sightseeing, lounging, or all-you-can-eating?
- I took a Barry's Bootcamp class yesterday and I'm sore in places that I didn't even know existed. Have you ever been to Barry's before?
- Have you ever gotten a Shamrock Shake? I want to try one but I'm skeptical.
- I'm about to start watching Game of Thrones. Is there anything I should know before I begin this journey?
- Serious question: Do you think I could pull off a leather jacket?
- There's a spider in my apartment. Will you come over and get rid of it, or do you also have an irrational fear of bugs?
- I'm ordering a pizza and I don't know what to get. Will you pick three toppings with me?
- Will you send me the best meme you've seen today? I need a good laugh.
- I'm rewatching The Office, and I want to know what you think: Are Jim and Pam relationship goals or totally overrated?
- "What do you think is worse: people who celebrate their half-birthday, or people who celebrate their birthday week?"
- Have you ever purchased anything from an Instagram ad? I bought three different things from ads this past week and I'm concerned for myself.
- What do you think is the most annoying thing a person can post on their Insta story?
- What's your most toxic trait? Mine is waiting a week before I reply to people's emails.
- If you could be trapped in an elevator with any celebrity for 12 hours, who would it be and why?
- What's your opinion on flip-flops? Unsightly or essential?
- I accidentally called my professor 'mom' in class this morning. What's the worst thing that's happened to you today?
- Which do you prefer, piña coladas or getting caught in the rain? The world needs to know!
- Breaking: Local girl rewatches [input show here] for the millionth time. Do you have any good TV recs to get me out of this rut?
- Have you ever considered getting a tattoo? Or better yet, do you have any tattoos that I don’t know about?
- Are you a sweet or savory breakfast kind of person? I’ve been dreaming of waffles all day.
- What’s the best book you’ve read in the last year? Trying to up my smarty pants game.
- How do you feel about Disney songs? I’ve had “I Am Moana” stuck in my head all week and it’s intense.
- Where’s your favorite ice cream spot and when can you take me there?
- Help! I’ve fallen into a Netflix abyss and I can’t get up.
- Between Harry Styles/Olivia Wilde and Olivia Munn/John Mulaney, which celebrity couple is more cringe?
- What are your playlist-making skills like, on a scale of 1-10? I need a cozy soundtrack for my lazy day.
The best part: If your crush doesn't have an opinion on something, you then have an excuse to It’s always a little intimidating to text your crush out of the blue, especially if you’re still getting to know each other or you haven’t texted much in the past. But arming yourself with some good, meaty questions to get the conversation flowing will make things so much easier on yourself. The best part: If your crush doesn't yet have an opinion on something you’ve brought up, then you have an excuse to explore it further — together! — on your first date. Win-win!
This article was originally published on