What do you get when a romantic comedy meets the holidays? The Holiday, of course. Every December since this movie came out in 2006, you might snuggle up on the couch and cue up the title screen. You may wait for the first notes of the soundtrack to tug on your heartstrings, and the iconic scenes to fill your soul with gumption. Now, you need some quotes from The Holiday for the most perfect captions this season.
Before you gather up those captions, though, let’s spill some truth: The concept behind this movie is genius. (Spoiler alerts ahead.) Two women switch places for a week during the holidays. Amanda (Cameron Diaz) goes to London and falls in love with Graham (Jude Law), while Iris (Kate Winslet) goes to Los Angeles and creates a life for herself full of happiness, friendship, and love — thanks to a cute elderly man and Miles (Jack Black).
These couples share a lot of emotional, light-hearted, and relatable moments — from deep heart-to-hearts over fettuccine, to movie score duets sung loudly in a video store. By the time the credits roll, you've learned to be the leading character in your life and that the unexpected can be truly amazing.
This year when you’re capturing love and memories on social media, you want to use quotes from The Holiday. Will one of these 24 lines do?
1. "If you were a melody... I used only the good notes." — Miles
2. "You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for god's sake!" — Iris
3. "You're incredible! You're a prodigy! A doodle prodigy!" — Miles
4. "I suppose I think about love more than anyone really should. I am constantly amazed by its sheer power to alter and define our lives." — Iris
5. "I have another scenario for you — I'm in love with you." — Graham
6. "I don't know. But I think what I've got is something slightly resembling, gumption." — Iris
7. "I'm not going to fall in love with you, I promise." — Amanda
8. "In the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend.” — Arthur Abbott
9. "I need some peace and quiet… or whatever it is people go away for." — Amanda
10. "I'm looking for corny in my life." — Iris
11. "It's Christmas Eve and we are going to go celebrate being young and being alive." — Miles
12. "Legend has it, when the Santa Anas blow, anything can happen." — Miles
13. "Okay. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to kiss you twice... and then linger a long time on the second kiss." — Miles
14. "For some quite inexplicably, love fades; for others love is simply lost. But then of course love can also be found, even if just for the night." — Iris
15. "And after all that, however long all that may be, you'll go somewhere new. And you'll meet people who make you feel worthwhile again." — Iris
16. "I have a cow and I sew. How's that for 'hard to relate to?'" — Graham
17. "Well, like I said, Most Interesting Girl Award." — Graham
18. "Shakespeare said, 'Journeys end in lovers meeting.' What an extraordinary thought." — Iris
19. "He's really cute. I feel great when I'm with him, which is an entirely new experience. And he's about ninety years old." — Iris
20. "I don't know what to say about it. Totally brill." — Miles
21. "I've found almost everything ever written about love to be true." — Iris
22. "I can't figure out the mathematics of this, I just know I love you." — Graham
23. "So now I'm just gonna kiss you for the millionth time and say, 'Be seeing you'." — Amanda
24. "I've got a life to start living." — Iris
This article was originally published on