If you found this page by frantically Googling "
best gifts for girls" because you're out of ideas for your girlfriend's holiday present, congrats. You're in luck. Take off your coat and stay a while.
No matter how long you've been in a relationship, coming up with a perfectly thoughtful present can be kind of tricky. If you just started dating, you probably don't want to splurge on expensive jewelry or a fancy purse just yet — especially since you're still getting to know each other and learning what kinds of gifts she'd like most. But if you've been together forever, it's tough to top all the other amazing gifts you've gotten her for previous holidays and birthdays. And hey, if you're somewhere in the middle stages and
still clueless about what to get, well, take comfort in the fact that you're definitely not alone. Gift giving is hard.
There's no perfect solution out there, particularly because handmade or one-of-a-kind gifts can often mean more than anything purchased from a store. (You know she keeps the very first Spotify playlist you made her on repeat, right?) But the 12 gifts below have been vetted by actual girlfriends, so listen up.
1. A Simple Necklace I'm a big fan of jewelry, so something small, dainty, and gold that I can wear every day and look at and think of him.
— Alexia, 24
2. A Thoughtful Card And Flowers Don’t get me wrong; material objects are great, but my absolute favorite thing to get from my boyfriend is flowers and a thoughtful, sentimental card. My boyfriend isn’t the sappiest, so it means so much to me when he puts his thoughts on paper. We’ve been dating for two-and-a-half years but started doing long-distance a few months ago, and he wrote me a really nice card prior to leaving New York. I loved the card so much, I tacked it on a bulletin board in my apartment and read it almost daily.
— Kelsey, 25
3. Sheet Masks It's a product I've used before, so I know that I'll like it. I probably wouldn't send my partner blindly into the world of skincare/beauty because (1) I know what I like and what my skin likes, and (2) he's not familiar with it at all. But it's also a product I don't usually buy on the reg, so it's a ~treat yourself~ kind of gift that shows thoughtfulness.
— Haley, 25
4. A Book Cool science books are the path to my heart. Right now, I want a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'cause I haven't read it in years. I think a book is perfect for somebody you're just starting to date. It shows you care and that you've put thought into the gift without being too much.
— Julia, 19
5. An Ugly Christmas Sweater I get really into the holiday season, and my boyfriend always teases me about it (partly because I'm always humming Christmas songs around him and he's Jewish). So this would be a nice way of showing that one of the things that annoys him about me is also one of the reasons that he loves me.
— Nicole, 20
6. A Bike I have hinted, like, a bajillion times that I want a bike. I literally have this one saved on my phone. (I should probably explain that he usually combines my late December birthday and Christmas gift, and I get one big gift, which I prefer.)
— Emily, 23
7. A Belt (So She Can Stop Stealing His) I'd want something I actually need that I keep mentioning, which is a nice leather belt. (I keep stealing his.)
— Isabel, 21
8. A Box Set Of DVDs To Watch Together My boyfriend is really into a lot of action movies and stuff like that, but I was elated to find out he also loved The Nanny growing up, like I did. I loved getting all of the seasons of The Nanny on DVD from him as a gift because we could both watch something we loved together... that, and I just love The Nanny.
— Elyssa, 29
9. Lululemon Leggings I just started working out, and I didn't have a lot of workout clothes, so it's nice to have something really high-quality to help me feel more confident.
— Rose, 24
10. Two Memberships To A Hot Yoga Studio It's something I would definitely use every day, and if we could experience it together, all the better. It's a two-in-one workout class and bonding experience. I took him to yoga once, and he was surprisingly not that bad. He was actually able to hold tree [pose] without toppling over the guy next to him. A sweaty workout is a fun deviation from going out for a heavy meal every date night. I'm always in his way doing yoga in the apartment, and since we're old people now, we need excuses to get out of the house more.
— Marissa, 26
11. BB Cream This is like foundation and powder combined, and it has 35 SPF. I bought it for the first time two years ago, and I still have the same bottle; I use it sparingly because I can't afford to use it regularly, but I would buy it if I could!
— Kitty, 24
12. A Nice Watch For me, presents from [a] significant other should be both thoughtful and/or something I wouldn’t buy myself. A great gift idea is something that will be used for years to come — like a nice watch or a designer handbag (depending on the seriousness of the relationship). A gift like that says, 'I see myself being with you long term, and I want to invest in both you and us.' Really, the most important takeaway is that the gift itself is thoughtful. I don’t care how much money was spent (I actually don’t care if any money was spent), I care that he spent time coming up with something that would make me happy.
— Catie, 27
Good luck shopping — you got this.
Check out the entire Gen Why series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV. Check out the “Best of Elite Daily” stream in the Bustle App for more stories just like this!