Throwing shade is a term that has been tossed around quite frequently. While this seems like a relatively new word, apparently Urban Dictionary has been more than well aware of it since 2006, thanks to Mary's sister.
So before we delve any further, let's take a look at its definition:
Basically, it's the passive-aggressive tendency of being a bitch. You actually may not even realize when you are, in fact, engaging in this type of behavior.
So today I am going to enlighten you on 18 ways that girls may or may not know they're throwing shade.
1. Not reciprocating Instagram likes
I don't care what Gretchen Wieners said, this is the #1 rule of feminism. If you are a good friend, you will always like your friend's Instagram picture, regardless of how lame her sunset is or how basic her 10-pound dog is.
One day, when you upload a terrible quote, you will need her support, so don't f*ck this up.
2. Showing up to places past the point of fashionably late
All this does is tell your friends that your time is more valuable than theirs. You better keep this behavior in check because you have no one but yourself to blame when they "forget" to invite you next time.
3. Not showing up without canceling
This is even worse than showing up late, as you didn't have the decency to let the group know you would not be in attendance. You just disregarded your friends for selfish reasons, and that's just not a good look for anyone.
4. Ignoring a text, but posting a Facebook status afterwards
Do you really think no one is going to pick up on this? Rude. Don't be stupid and ignore someone's text as you are uploading and tagging her in Facebook photos.
5. Telling a friend you don't like an outfit she sent you, then wearing it in your most recent Facebook mupload
Everyone knows a girl's favorite pastime is sending her friends clothes via Gchat to gauge their reactions. So it's a little offensive to be rocking said item yourself, right after you tell someone you don't like it. If you're going to do that, at least give the other person a head's up!
6. Reacting to your friend's food order with: "Are you really getting that?"
The food-shaming struggle is real! Do not commit this crime, ever. I repeat, do not commit this crime.
Whatever, I'm getting cheese fries...
7. Two words: Humble Brag
Everyone knows exactly what it is that you are doing, so for the sake of the rest of us, could you... maybe, stop?
8. Back-handed compliments
This is just bad manners. If you have nothing nice to say, talk about it with your mutual friend, duh.
9. Judging someone for doing something (or someone) you've already done
10. Referencing a friend's Instagram picture you didn't "like"
Oh, so you also want to go on vacation to Maui because you saw my picture? You loved it that much that you could't even muster up a double-tap on my photo?
OK, I see how it is... good luck getting my hotel recommendation.
11. Posting a reunion picture with an obvious omission
That is just plain passive aggressiveness, and something girls do far, far too often.
12. Complimenting all your friends' outfits except for one
You show up to the pre-pre-game and are just dishing out compliments like you dish out shots, except to that one girl who clearly looks better than everyone else.
Jealousy isn't a pretty look on anyone and, honestly, it's not making you look any better.
13. Leaving someone out of a group text and talking about said group conversation in front of her
You can't reference a group chat to a person who isn't in the group chat. First of all, that doesn't even make sense because how is she supposed to know what you are even talking about?
14. Telling someone she "looks sick"
you know you look as bad as you feel when your co-worker tells you: "You look less than tan today..." @kcawlz — Ashley Fern (@disco_infern0) September 4, 2014
The tweet says it all...
15. Responding "k" to a text that warrants an elaborate answer
Is there anything more infuriating than receiving this type of response? Sure, people claim they have nothing else to say in response, but come on... that is just a lazy cop out.
At least have the common courtesy to put two K's. But as sh*tty as this is, it pales in comparison to this...
16. Letting the "..." hover and then just never typing anything else
This is the blue balls of texting, and this sh*t is just not OK by any means.
17. Telling your friend she can do better than the guy she's currently into
This is just a low blow! How would you feel if this were done to you? Even if you don't agree with your friend's decision, this is the time to shut up and plaster a fake smile across your face.
18. Putting up a picture you know your friend looks like sh*t in
Thank God for timeline review or we'd all be sh*t out of luck. There is perhaps nothing worse than having unfortunate and unattractive pictures of you flood the news feeds of your friends.
The only time this is even remotely acceptable is if you look like a solid nine or above in said photo, in which case, your friend must chalk this one up to a loss and accept her unfortunate fate.
Photo Courtesy: CW/Gossip Girl