Romantic comedies lie. We all know this, but their most insidious lie has to be that carriage rides through the park in the snow are romantic. They are not. What they are is cheesy AF. OK, I'm glad I got that off my chest. I just have no tolerance for corny overly "traditional" Hollywood romance. To me, romance is about fun, comfort, silliness, and (of course) adventure. So when this time of year rolls around, I start thinking of fun winter date ideas for me and my partner.
When people think about winter dates, they tend to get caught up in the idea that it has to involve snow, so it can be hard to break out of that mindset and come up with some alternative ideas that don't involve the powdery stuff. While playing in the snow can definitely make for an awesome time, the key to winter date is planning an activity that takes advantage of the season — whether that's taking in the gorgeous winter scenery, enjoying the weather, or using the dropping temperatures as an excuse to cozy up with your date.
Still not sure what to do to? This is where I come in, with some suggestions for winter dates to heat up your winter romance without totally cheesing you out.
Brave The Great Outdoors Together
1. Go for a dip in a local hot spring (or hot tub).
2. Hit the ice rink or pond for some adorable couples skating.
3. Go for a stroll (or cruise around in a nice warm car) to look at all holiday lights together.
4. Take a stroll in a nearby state park and pack a thermos of some adult (aka spiked) hot chocolate.
5. Do a winter wonderland photoshoot.
6. Hit the slopes for a snowboarding or sledding adventure.
7. Hike a local nature trail. It's gorgeous out there, so why not see it together?
8. Fire up a bonfire on the beach or in your backyard and roast some s’mores.
9. Crack open your local parks and rec guide to find local winter events or programs you didn’t even know existed in your town.
10. Book a trip to somewhere with warmer climates. Hawaii sounds amazing right about now.
Go On An Indoor Adventure For Two
11. Break out some boardgames or jigsaw puzzles and play over steaming cups of mulled wine.
12. Check out Atlas Obscura and visit some nearby strange and unusual attractions or museums.
13. Or go the total opposite and play tourist at your most popular local attraction.
14. With the weather turning colder, less fortunate folks and our furry friends need even more help than in the warmer months. Pick a cause and volunteer together.
15. Speaking of furry friends, go visit them in the zoo or at the aquarium.
16. Play some indoor sports together like indoor mini golf, going for swim at the local indoor pool, or bowling a few games.
17. Scale an indoor rock climbing wall together.
18. Arcades are making a comeback and oftentimes they even serve drinks, so gather up your quarters and go get your Ms. Pac-Man on.
19. Head to a local brewery to taste all the awesome seasonal beers. Mmmm so pumpkin-y.
20. Test your teamwork skills with an escape room (seriously, these are so fun).
Or Have A Cozy And Romantic Night
21. Rent a cabin up in the mountains or by a lake and just try not to have the most romantic weekend.
22. Netflix and chill is for the rest of year, but Netflix and snuggle? That’s my idea of winter fun. Not sure what to watch? Each of you should pick their favorite movie and make it a double feature.
23. Make an amazing dinner together at home. Pick something that makes you feel cozy in the winter and use lots of seasonal veggies.
24. Snuggle up in front of a fire with some spiked hot chocolate or bundle up under a blanket together and watch the sunset with a couple of mugs.
25. Embrace your inner child by building a pillow fort… and then do really adult things inside it.
Winter doesn’t mean your romantic side has to go into hibernation. Make the most of the cold weather by keeping warm with bae.
Check out the entire Gen Why series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.
Check out the “Best of Elite Daily” stream in the Bustle App for more stories just like this!