The Right Place At The Right Time


The right place and the right time is something that can't be taught in school. It’s not something that we can give you the secret formula for, but what we can do is explain it to you, and better prepare you for what is about to come in your life. Some of us depend on textbooks, grades, networking and luck to get by in life -- and get far.

This is how we determine our direction and get where we want in life. Because at the end of the day, it’s all about getting where you want -- but figuring out how to get there is what makes it fun, and what makes life fun. I recall one of my first classes ever; it was a business course. The professor decided to ask the class, “What is it that you think gets some people further in life than others?”

Many kids raised their hands and started stating the different methods that they had in mind for themselves. Good grades, a fancy résumé, networking and on and on.

Eventually we ran out of possibilities to throw at the professor, to the point where one student even suggested attaining super powers. The professor ceased the pedestrian answers that we were throwing at him and simply stated: “It all has to do with being at right place at the right time.”

He went on to explain that 80% of chance is based off being within the right premise and in the right time. 10% is will power and how hard you want to work and the other 10% is how innovative and creative you are. He said he could teach us all the crap in the textbook and pass us all, but unless we figure out how to be in the right place at the right time, we will get nowhere in life.

These words really stayed with me and I pondered them constantly throughout my college years, which is why I want to share it with you today, because it is as essential to life as anything else is.

Thinking about it, 80% does sound like a gigantic number, but what you might not realize is that the percentage is on point. If you look at anyone who is successful and you look at his or her story, besides the hard work, idea, concept and dream, it all worked out because of being at the right place at the right time.

Now I know what many of you are thinking, along with all the other pedestrians, oh so it just comes down to luck doesn’t it? No. That is the wrong way to look at it, and that is exactly the way 99% of the classroom looked at it -- except for myself.

It actually has nothing to do with luck, people like to use luck as an excuse for things not working out for them because they are afraid of failure or being judged. When you decide to look at things in such a negative way, it’s because you have no self-confidence –that’s why you will never find yourself at the right place at the right time, because you don't believe your "luck" will take you there.

Life is an interesting experience. We are the ones who shape our own destinies, and it is our minds that truly hold all the power we constantly look for -- nothing else, and it damn sure isn’t the bullshit excuse you tell yourself at the end of everyday. To be at the right place at the right time, you need to get yourself there. It doesn’t appear to you unprovoked, saying here is your golden door.

It is your actions, your mindset and your past that lead you right into the tunnel without you even knowing it -- that is the best part about it. It happens when you least expect it, but essentially it is you that opens that door when it is presented to you -- no one can open it for you ever.

People love to blame everything else for things not working out in their life and they become miserable working the same job and maintaining a pedestrian lifestyle. They are angry that they were not at the right place at the right time, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

If you want to get to the right place at the right time, you need to get up off your ass and start getting yourself there. If you sit in a cubicle all your life, you will never get there, but if you get out of there and out of your comfort zone --some how, some way, you will.

If you look at the Wall St. boom before the recession and how much money was made, those people weren’t lucky, they saw opportunity, got their license to trade stock, and made a killing. Because they got themselves at the right place at the right time…not their luck. Realize this and you will get far in life; refuse to accept it -- sucks to be you.

Preston Waters | Elite.