10 Hugh Hefner Quotes To Remember The Playboy Legend
Hugh Hefner, the legendary creator of Playboy, died last night at the age of 91, Playboy confirmed in a statement. According to Playboy, he died of natural causes. Hefner was an icon who created a brand that is still one of the most recognizable in the world. The first issue of the magazine was released in 1953 and featured nude photos of Marilyn Monroe, and the Playboy brand has been iconic ever since. Although Hefner received his fair share of criticism from feminists like Gloria Steinem over the years (many believed he was exploiting women, he and others said he was empowering them), he did provide a platform for feminist essays to be published. He was also an activist for civil rights, gay rights, and women's reproductive rights. People have been using Hugh Hefner quotes in their everyday lives for years, so we've rounded up the best ones for you. Hefner's son and chief creative officer of Playboy, Cooper Hefner, said in a statement on Wednesday, Sept. 27,
My father lived an exceptional and impactful life as a media and cultural pioneer and a leading voice behind some of the most significant social and cultural movements of our time in advocating free speech, civil rights and sexual freedom. He defined a lifestyle and ethos that lie at the heart of the Playboy brand, one of the most recognizable and enduring in history. He will be greatly missed by many, including his wife Crystal, my sister Christie and my brothers David and Marston, and all of us at Playboy Enterprises.
Playboy tweeted around 11 p.m. last night, "American Icon and Playboy Founder, Hugh M. Hefner passed away today. He was 91. #RIPHef."
Hefner was one of the leaders of the sexual revolution of the 1960s/1970s, so here are the best Hugh Hefner quotes to remember the Playboy legend by:
1. "Life is too short to be living someone else's dream."
2. "In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined a sweeter life."
4. "Much of my life has been like an adolescent dream of an adult life. If you were still a boy, in almost a Peter Pan kind of way, and could have just the perfect life that you wanted to have, that's the life I invented for myself." —Hefner in a 1992 interview with the Los Angeles Times.
5. "A lot of people go through life never quite understanding that if things aren't as wonderful as they should be, it's their own fault." —Hefner to Esquire in 2007.
6. "Well, if we hadn't had the Wright brothers, there would still be airplanes. If there hadn't been an Edison, there would still be electric lights. And if there hadn't been a Hefner, we'd still have sex. But maybe we wouldn't be enjoying it as much. So the world would be a little poorer. Come to think of it, so would some of my relatives." —Hefner in an interview for Playboy in 1974.
7. "Living in the moment, thinking about the future, and staying connected to the past: That's what makes me feel whole." —Hefner to Esquire in 2007.
8. "I've spent so much of my life looking for love in all the wrong places." —Hefner to the New York Times in 1992.
9. "I've had a bachelor party for 30 years. Why do I need one now?" —Hefner the night before his marriage to Kimberley Conrad in 1989.
10. "My best pick-up line is 'My name is Hugh Hefner.'" —Hefner to Esquire in 2007.
Hefner is survived by his four adult children and his wife, Crystal Hefner.