22 Pick Up-Lines That Actually Work, If You’re Looking To Meet Someone Tonight
Once, while watching a boat race in London, I spotted the most attractive human I think I've ever seen. Top five, at least. He was wearing a white scarf and a navy blazer, and he looked like a real-life version of Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid. I loved him instantly. So I did what any charming young woman would do — I walked up, tapped him on the shoulder, and said, "I'm so sorry, I just had to tell you... You look like a Disney prince." Because pick-up lines that work successfully are obviously my forte.
Shockingly, he did not invite me back to his castle to live happily ever after (I know, I was surprised, too). Instead, he said, "Um, thank you?" And as my friends winced from second-hand embarrassment, I was forced to rethink everything I'd ever believed about approaching cute strangers. Apparently, comparing them to animated royalty was not the way to go.
Needless to say, I shifted strategies and started doing a little research. In the years since the Disney Prince Debacle, I've consulted friends, listicles, and even a handful of dating app matches to find out which pick-up lines will actually work and get a conversation going...
Twenty-two of the greatest hits are included below. They're clever and cheesy and naughty and sweet, and every one has worked.
To Ensure The Thirst Is Mutual
1. What's the biggest thing that's changed about you since elementary school? Here, I'll start — I used to hate when boys pulled my hair. But I don't hate it so much anymore.
2. I bet you could get any girl here to go home with you.... except me. And yes, that's a challenge.
3. What's your favorite breakfast food? And will you make it for me in the morning?
4. Have you ever been to a wine tasting? I mean, I know they say to spit, but I prefer to swallow.
If You Want To Make Them Think (And Chuckle)
5. Who really killed Jon Benet Ramsey?
6. [As you're leaving a bar.] So, were there any cute girls in that bar?
7. What are your feelings about prunes? Like, dried plums? ... Okay, cool. How do you feel about dates?
If You're Trying to Snag Their Number
8. There's something wrong with my phone, can you take a look? I think it might need your number.
9. Oh no, I lost my number. Can I borrow yours?
10. My friends bet me $20 I wouldn't be able to get your number. Want to buy some drinks with their money?
For The Girl Who Would Never Use A Pick-Up Line
11. Is that your cell phone ringing, or mine?
12. What are you drinking? It looks delicious.
13. I love your watch. You've got great taste.
14. Do you know of any good pizza places around here?
If You've Got Your Eye On The Bartender
15. Is there a non-creepy way to hit on your bartender? If so, please text it to me.
From One Nerd To Another
16. Did you survive the killing curse? Because you're drop-dead gorgeous.
17. Your lab bench or mine?
18. You're more special than relativity.
19. I'm kind of like King Joffrey. So if you don't go out with me, I'll kill your dad.
Pick-Up Lines About Pick-Up Lines
20. Wow, sorry. You're so handsome I just forgot my pick-up line.
21. I bet you $20 you're not going to fall for this pick-up line.
22. All right, what's the best pick-up line you've ever gotten, and can I use it now?
Try one of these out on the next cutie you spot on a dating app or at a crowded bar — I dare you!
Check out the entire Gen Why series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.
Check out the “Best of Elite Daily” stream in the Bustle App for more stories just like this!