Being a 20-something is a strange period in a young person’s life. It’s those strange years right after college... you’re forging a new career (or searching for one), wading through a sea of possibilities, and just trying to figure out your place in this big, scary world.
You’re trying to dismantle your college-kid wardrobe -- replacing your North Face with a peacoat, exchanging blue jeans for blazers.
You’re attempting to become a whiz in the kitchen while simultaneously eating peanut butter straight from the jar.
So much of your shaky existence is at odds with itself and with your expectations. You’re trying to be an adult, but you barely have enough money to support yourself; you want to find “the one,” but you just can’t seem to spend more than one night with any given guy or girl.
It’s a constant push into adulthood and a constant pull of your draining youth and free-spirited nature. It’s the push of responsibility with the pull of the urge to be carefree.
It’s as if you’re on the cusp of something, but just can’t seem to take that one last, little leap to get there.
It’s a constant struggle and it can cause a lot of anxiety and unwanted hair pulling. A lot of the time, you don’t even know why you’re holding yourself back.
Why can’t this be easy? Why can’t you just wake up one morning and feel like a grownup -- wake up and feel sure of yourself?
You say you want stability and to build a future, but your actions far from reflect this supposed desire. You see the side eye from family members when you tell them what you’re up to at family parties, you feel the judgment.
Your parents just want you to get your life together and you don’t even know what together means. There should be a manual for this sh*t!
Your life is full of extremes and it feels like you’re being swallowed by a vortex of impossible possibility. Will you ever grow up? When will you finally take that last step? On your 30th birthday?
You're ready for a mature relationship, but all the boys and girls around you act like children and all the mature men and women are moms and dads.
1. You wish you could focus, but all of your friends got off Adderall after college.
2. You want to drink and go out, but you get too hungover.
3. You want to see all your old friends, but you don't have any free time.
4. You want to be independent, but you have to call your mom every day.
5. You get up with the sun because "the early bird catches the worm," but you crash at 2:30 pm.
6. You want to live by yourself, but you're too poor, so you have to have roommates.
7. You want to go to the club, but you don't want to wait on lines anymore.
8. You want to eat healthy, but green food is so expensive, so you eat ramen.
9. You want to get drunk during the day on Saturdays, but you can't make it past 2 -- and it ruins your whole Sunday.
10. You want the job of your dreams, but you have no experience.
11. You want to be respected, but you keep making mistakes.
12. You want to be in a relationship, but you're wondering if there's something else out there.
13. You want to plant roots, but you're always dreaming of lands uncharted.
14. You want all the money in the world, but you want to live like you don't need it.
15. You're still drinking Svedka, but all you want to drink is Grey Goose.
16. You don't want to get wrinkles, so you use anti-aging cream, but then you get acne.
17. You're excited to have a real paycheck, but all your money goes to rent, loans and taxes.
18. You want to go to the gym, but you can't afford a membership and your friends don't have any more free passes.
19. You want to shop at Sephora, but you have to make do with $3 sh*t from CVS.
20. You want to sow your wild oats, but you also hate spending time alone.
21. You love everything, but you don't even know what you like.
22. You want to save money, but you also want to have experiences.
23. You want to stop doing drugs, but you don't know how to go out without them.
24. You want your parents to take you seriously, but you work at a startup.
25. You want to do brunch, but you can't day-drink like you used to.
26. You want to work out at 5 am, but you can’t say no to that third drink.
27. You want to settle down, but you can't help your wandering eye.
28. You want a lot of friends, but you also just want to watch Netflix.
29. You want to take care of yourself, but you also don't want to pay for your own health insurance.
30. You want to give into temptation, but you're so comfortable in your comfort zone.
31. You want to stay on your diet, but you keep drunk eating.
32. You say you're ready to be an adult, but you just don't fit the shoes.