When it comes to most people, bluntly stating the truth doesn't always work out in your favor.
Sadly, people are hypersensitive these days, so you don't always feel as if your opinion is wanted, even if it's asked for.
This is perhaps what separates certain people from those whom you would consider your best friends.
I mean, what's the point of having a best friend if you don't feel completely comfortable with her? Why would you even want a friend like this in your life? It sounds like a huge waste of time to me.
Your best friend is someone who is supposed to offer clarity in situations you are typically clouded in... aka absolutely everything when it comes to guys and -- you know -- your mental stability.
So what are the types of things only best friends feel like they can say to one another?
1. "You're festering and it's freaking everyone out."
Your friends haven't heard from you or seen you in an unacceptable amount of time.
We're not sure what's going on with you, but you need to crawl out of the hole you dug yourself in and let us all know you're OK.
2. "I love you, but we shouldn't live together."
It has been said that the worst people to live with are your best friends and, honestly, that holds some truth.
There are just certain people who are compatible when it comes to living arrangements and some who are not.
So if you want to keep your friendship, maybe living together is not the best option.
3. "Your awful driving skills were funny in college, now they're just terrifying."
The fact that you still slam on the brake and roll through stop signs is not acceptable anymore (not like it ever was).
4. "You're wasted and need to get home immediately."
Sure, you may be acting hilarious, but you know it's only a matter of time before you do something embarrassing.
If your friend offers to take you home, don't get mad, rather appreciate the fact that she is willing to cut her night short for your own benefit.
5. "Those jeans do absolutely nothing for you."
Do you want a friend who wants you to look your best or one who wants you to look like sh*t in comparison?
6. "I hate to say it, but he's just not that into you."
Chances are your vision is blurry when it comes to a guy you're interested in. This is why filling your best friend on every single detail has its advantages.
She will offer you that clear perspective you so desperately need.
7. "Stop texting him, you're creeping him out and you're creeping me out too."
Sending seven-scroll text messages and back-to-back questions isn't a good look for anybody. So please stop before you reach the point of no return.
8. "Sorry, but he's a dick."
You can always count on a best friend to call you out for making excuses for a guy.
It's natural to want to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but that's completely different than making up elaborate and ridiculous excuses for someone who's clearly just not that good of a person.
9. "Chill out for a second, it's not always about you."
Bad friends let their friends continue to bitch about their problems; good friends tell you when it's time to shut up and suck it up.
10. "Your behavior lately resembles that of an MTV show, it's time for an intervention."
If you're spending the majority of your week blacking out, you can bet your last dollar that your best friend will be sitting your ass down for a reality check.
11. "He's cheating on you."
This is never an easy thing to tell anyone, especially someone you consider your closest friend.
But you have to think about it like this: She either finds out from you, doesn't find out at all or finds out when it's too late.
12. "You may not want to accept it, but he's dating someone else."
You were going to find out eventually, you may as well hear it immediately.
13. "Your breath is heinous."
When I offered you gum, it wasn't a suggestion -- it was a recommendation.
14. "You just seem depressed, is everything OK?"
The first person to pick up on your off behavior is most likely going to be your best friend.
Sure, you would defend yourself if anyone else asked you, but when it comes from her, chances are you are going to break down.
15. "You need to accept responsibility because you're in the wrong here."
One of the worst qualities a person can possess is the inability to admit when she's wrong. PSA: Don't be that person -- ever.
16. "Stop dressing like you're still in college; it's not cute anymore."
No seriously, stop, you're embarrassing all of us.
17. "You're a terrible DJ and your voice is even worse."
Do everyone a favor, close your mouth and toss your iPod out the window.
18. "You're overanalyzing things and it's driving everyone insane, especially you."
Taking things at face value used to be easy, but now with all these technological advances, it's hard to decipher what people actually mean. Good thing you're there to help your best friend.
19. "You're looking a little thin and not in a good way."
Don't get too offended by this, your friend is just looking out for you and your health.