This Blogger Had A Severe Allergic Reaction To Henna Hair Dye

By

Henna hair dye is often marketed as a safe, natural alternative to conventional dye, as it lacks many of the harmful chemicals (such as para-phenylenediamine, or PPD) found in boxed color kits.

Natural, however, doesn't always mean “risk-free,” as one lifestyle blogger recently learned after developing a severe allergic reaction to the alternative dye.

Health and fitness vlogger Chemese Armstrong wanted to color her hair, but couldn't use conventional boxed dye because of an allergy. Seeking alternative methods, she turned to her dermatologist, who recommended henna dye.

Unfortunately, Armstrong discovered, she was allergic to that, too — severely allergic.

The henna caused her face to swell up to the point where it was completely unrecognizable, forcing her eyes completely shut for two full days. Though a doctor was able to get the reaction under control, Armstrong is speaking up about her experience on social media in the hopes of preventing another person from going through what she did.

After her face returned to its normal size and shape, Armstrong created a YouTube video to discuss her ordeal in detail. Watch it up top, and use her traumatic experience as a reminder to always be mindful of what you put in — and on — your body.

Citations: Health Vlogger Shares Photos After Scary Allergic Reaction to Henna Hair Dye (Cosmopolitan)