Heartbreaking New Video Reveals Tragic Details Of Minnesota Police Shooting

by Alexandra Svokos

Philando Castile was shot and killed by a police officer in Minnesota on Wednesday.

Castile was pulled over for driving with a broken tail light. The police officer shot him when he was reaching for his ID.

Castile's girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, was in the car along with her 4-year-old daughter. Reynolds filmed the aftermath of the shooting on Facebook Live.

Reynolds' video caused an outcry across social media and demonstrations calling for justice and an end to police brutality against black lives.

Reynolds spoke about the shooting to a crowd on Thursday. Her friend broadcasted a video of her talk on Facebook.

Reynolds is clearly distraught in the video. She approaches the crowd saying,

The police did this to us. They asked him to show his identification. He was licensed to carry. And as he was reaching for his ID in his back pocket, the police bear arms.

Reynolds says the police officer was Asian and pulled them over for a busted tail light that "was not busted." The police officer has not been identified, and Reynolds could not get his name.

She says they were driving back from getting groceries and dropping her sister off at home when they were pulled over. Castile told the police he was licensed to carry and had a gun on him as he was reaching for his ID.

One man in the video notes when you get licensed to carry a gun, you are instructed to tell police officers you are licensed and have a gun on you if you interact with an officer.

The officer then shot Castile four or five times.

Reynolds says the police left Castile in the car after he was shot and did not check his pulse.

They took his life for no reason. They did this to my daughter, and they did it to me, and I want justice, and I want peace.

Reynolds breaks down during the video and is comforted by people around her. She says she wants peace and justice, crying "it's not right."

My daughter will be forever scarred.

Reynolds says she was taken away from her daughter after the shooting and taken to jail, where she was treated like a prisoner. She says she was in police custody overnight until 5 in the morning on Thursday. She was not told Castile was dead until 3 in the morning.

The police told her Castile was at one hospital, but when she got there on Thursday morning, she found he had been taken to a different hospital, Reynolds says.

She talks about Castile's life, saying he worked for St. Paul Public Schools, never had a criminal record and was not gang affiliated. Castile's birthday is in nine days.

She says,

It used to be safe here. But the police -- the people that's supposed to serve and protect us -- are not serving us and they are not protecting us. They are taking innocent people away from their families. They are taking innocent people off the streets.

Reynolds explains she, her daughter and Castile "followed procedure" and had their hands up when the officer shot.

She says people should pray for her daughter.

I will be OK. But I don't know if I can say the same for my 4-year-old daughter.

Reynolds says Castile was a very sweet and loving man who came home from work and took care of her daughter.

The video ends with Reynolds demanding justice, peace and a funeral paid for by the state.

If we can come together to build a stadium, we can come together to make a wonderful funeral so that we can embrace this beautiful life that is no longer with us anymore.