This 18-Year-Old's iPhone Burst Into Flames While She Was On A Flight
A college student's iPhone 6 reportedly burst into flames during a flight to Hawaii last week.
Seattle's Anna Crail, 18, was apparently watching a movie on the device when flames erupted, almost instantly growing to eight inches in height, she said.
The Alaska Airlines flight left Bellingham, Washington on Thursday night and was 90 minutes away from its Honolulu destination when the fire began.
Crail told KOMO News,
When it started I thought we were going down, and I was like, 'Oh my god, there's a fire on the plane'... I flipped it off onto the ground and it got under someone's seat, and the flames were just getting higher, and a bunch of people stood up.
The airline said crew members were trained for such an incident and were, therefore, able to quickly put out the fire. None of the 163 passengers were hurt, and it does not appear anyone's belongings were damaged, ABC News reports.
Aviation expert John Nance advises all iPhone users to put their devices in airplane mode during flights.
Searching for a signal mid-flight can draw a lot of power from the iPhone's lithium ion battery, making the iPhone more likely to catch fire.
The official cause of Thursday's fire will be determined following investigations from Alaska Air and the Federal Aviation Administration.
Crail is actually very lucky compared to others who experienced similar mishaps but did not have the devices in their hands.