Turn Yourself Into A Disney Character With These Viral TikTok Trends
Queen Elsa has nothing on this transformation.
The latest filter to break the TikTok-verse virtually transforms you into an animated character. When the trend first popped in December 2020, you had to leave the app to create your own Frozen-worthy avatar (which you can still do), but TikTok recently added animated effects to give you so many more options. If you're wondering how to get a cartoon face filter on TikTok to look like Disney character, there are a few ways to do it. First, you can do it right in the TikTok app, or you can head to Snapchat or the Voilà AI Artist app to create your digital mini-me. Here's how to get started.
If you need convincing to get in on the trend, just take a look at the numbers. As of June 14, there are 43.6 million views for the #cartoonfilter tag for TikToks made using the Snapchat filter, 627,000 views for #Voilaapp tag, and 102.1 million views for the #animateme tag.
Though none of these apps are officially connected to Disney, the cartoon vibes will remind you of Disney classics. Snapchat’s Cartoon Face filter has been around since December 2020, and users have praised it for its ability to capture a lot of detail and nuances in expression. The Voila AI Artist app, which was first released in March 2021, recently went viral as iOS and Android users discovered they could give themself a 3D or 2D cartoon makeover with the tap of a button. TikTok’s entries in the cartoon filter game are called “Animate Me” and “Animated Villain,” and they similarly give you Disney-esque cartoon features.
Whichever filter you decide to use, it's super easy to share your Snapchat or Voilà results to TikTok.
How To Use TikTok’s Animate Me Effect:
- To give yourself a cartoon transformation directly in the TikTok app, type in “Animate Me” in the search bar, then tap the first effect that comes up with the same name.
- From there, you can browse all the different TikToks that have used this effect or select “Use this effect” to try it out for yourself. (You can also save it to your favorites for later.)
- To transform yourself into an animated avatar once you’ve opted to use the effect, tap the screen with your finger and you’ll see your features morph into that of a cartoon version of yourself complete with sparkles.
- If you’re happy with your results, tap the check button to add any sounds, effects, or text, then select “next” to share on TikTok.
How To The Get Voilá App Cartoon Face Filter:
- To start, download the Voilà AI Artist app on either the App Store or Google Play.
- Choose a filter. Pro tip: The 3D version is more in line with Disney’s animation style in Frozen and Tangled, the 2D version looks a lot more like classic animation from Beauty and the Beast or Snow White. Once you’ve determined which cartoon filter you want to use, tap the orange arrow and allow the app to access your photos.
- Tap the photo you want to upload, and then wait while it transforms you into an animated cartoon.
- Once it’s done, you should see four quadrants, including your unedited face and several different animation styles. You can choose to either download all four photos or an individual image depending on what you want to share on TikTok.
How To Get The 3D Cartoon Filter On Snapchat:
- On Thursday, June 10, Snapchat released a pretty realistic 3D cartoon filter that makes you look like a Pixar character, and it’s so easy to try it out for yourself.
- To use the new filter, which comes with two different styles depending on what kind of animation style you’re looking for, search “Cartoon 3D Style” in Snapchat’s browser or tap the link to pull it up on your phone.
- Once you have the Lens up, you can tap the screen to toggle between the two different cartoon styles. Take a photo or video snap like usual, then tap “Send To” to post your Pixar-inspired results to your Snap Story or to individually share it with select friends.
How To Find Snapchat's Original Cartoon Face Filter:
1. First, open Snapchat and go to the front-facing Snap Camera. Then, check the Lens Carousel for the Cartoon Lens by tapping on the smiley face icon next to the capture button.
2. If you don't see it in your Lens Carousel, you can search "Cartoon" with the Explore button (magnifying glass icon) at the top of your screen. The effect will say "Cartoon" with "Snapchat" underneath as the creator. It should be the first one to show up.
3. Once you find it, tap on the Lens, and then you have the option to favorite it (which saves it in your Lens Carousel), send it to friends, or snap a selfie or video of your new animated self. You can also upload a photo from your camera roll to give any pic the "Disney" treatment. (Even though this isn't an official Disney Lens, the results are nothing short of magical.)
4. From there, you can share your final results with your friends on Snapchat, or, if you're more in a TikTok ~mood~, you can take the extra steps to upload it there.
How To Share Your Cartoon Face Results To TikTok:
Once you’ve downloaded the cartoon face you want to share, head to the TikTok app.
1. To upload your filtered video to TikTok, open the app and tap the plus sign (+) button to start a recording. Then, tap on the Upload icon to the right of the record button.
2. From there, you can upload a video or videos from your camera roll and play around with shortening it, cropping it, or modifying its speed.
3. Hit next, and then you'll be taken to a page where you can add additional effects, filters, stickers, and more. Once you tap next and set your sharing preferences, you're good to hit the post button at the bottom of the screen to share your video, and voila, you’ll look right at home in a Disney film.
Plenty of users have had some pretty drastic animated makeovers, so feel free to scroll through for inspiration before sharing your own Disney doppelgänger.
This article was originally published on