FBI Says It Hacked Into San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone Without Apple's Help
On Monday, the US Department of Justice announced it had successfully hacked into the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone without assistance from Apple, ending its weeks-long court battle.
The phone, owned by shooter Syed Farook, had been at the center of both media and courtroom scrutiny, with the FBI compelling Apple to assist them in hacking into the phone to potentially retrieve data and Apple standing firm in its belief that by doing so, it could potentially put millions of iPhone owners' personal security at risk.
US Attorney Eileen M. Decker said in a statement,
It is unknown which third party the FBI used to unlock the phone. It is also unknown if the FBI will continue to use this third-party vendor for other court cases.
Melanie Newman, a Justice Department spokeswoman, added in a statement,