If you've ever dealt with the insufferable pain of getting your heart broken by someone you love, you're certainly not alone.
Once someone messes with your heart, you become prone to putting up a wall... so your emotions won't get toyed with again.
You lock it up and decide to hide the key for a while.
You're more cautious because the thought of feeling so vulnerable scares you to death. You never, ever want to be put in the same boat where there's the potential to be fooled, misled or disappointed.
So, does this mean closing yourself off to love completely? No. But you approach things differently now.
You become the “guarded” girl. And there are a lot of misconceptions about the girl labeled as such in the dating world today.
Let me clarify a few things for the misinformed: No, she's not being picky because she's a snob. And no, she's not leading a guy on to only shatter his shot at love for fun.
On the one hand, she's had her heart broken once, if not multiple times. On the other hand, this girl has so much to offer a relationship once you manage to get through her barriers.
Here are 12 benefits you only get from dating the guarded girl:
1. She's cautious and smart with her decisions.
2. She doesn't freak out and jump ship when things go wrong.
3. She'll never be the clingy type.
4. She's not the high-maintenance type, either.
5. She won't give away too much, too soon. She'll always leave you craving more.
6. When she IS in a relationship she fully trusts, she'll give you her entire heart.
7. She acquired thick skin, and learned not to sweat the small stuff.
8. She's picky because she knows what she wants… and what she doesn't. This is a GOOD thing.
9. She'll always be loyal and dedicated to you.
10. When she DOES say, “I love you,” she's not saying it just to say it: She really means it.
11. She cherishes the relationship she has with her friends and family because they're the ones who stuck by her at her worst.
12. She knows how shitty heartbreak feels, and will never be the one to break someone else's heart.
The guarded girl fears letting someone into her world again, only to find out he's been getting his degree in Douchebag 101 this entire time.
She knows the guys she'll avoid with a 10-foot pole. BUT we all know men don't come with neon light-up signs that alert the media they're assholes, either.
Anyone who takes a chance on the guarded girl will find she's definitely worth that shot.