Facebook

Teen's Side-By-Side Pics Show Reaction To Eyebrow Tint

By

Every woman strives to have some seriously strong eyebrow game.

But between all of the plucking, waxing and tinting, keeping your brows in check can be a real hassle.

Tylah Durie, a 16-year-old beauty student, knows just how much of a pain it can be to keep your eyebrows on fleek.

Facebook

Durie recently tried to darken her eyebrows using some store-bought dye.

However, she ended up suffering from a horrific reaction to the eyebrow tint that left her “looking like a frog” with extremely swollen, puss-filled eyes.

The teen shared graphic side-by-side photos revealing the ghastly results of her eyebrow-tint-gone-horribly-wrong and I should probably warn you, it's not pretty.

Facebook

Apparently, Durie really screwed up by skipping the recommended allergy patch test before applying the eyebrow tint to her face.

She let the dye sit on her brows for the recommended 10 minutes, then washed it off and inspected the results.

At first, everything seemed fine.

“It looked really good and I was really pleased with it,” said Tylah.

Facebook

Durie began to notice a slight itching and burning sensation on her brows about 30 minutes later. However, the teen initially thought nothing of it.

Little did Durie know, she actually had a severe allergy to a chemical in the eyebrow dye called paraphenylenediamine.

Facebook

As a result of this, Durie had a terrible allergic reaction that caused her eyes to swell up to the size of "balloons" over the next four days.

Plus, the paraphenylenediamine in the eyebrow tint caused Durie to develop painful welts on her face, which made it difficult to open her eyes.

Giphy

According to Durie,

I woke up almost blind because of the reaction, my eyes had blown up like huge balloons, I was crying and screaming. It was like having beach sand thrown in your eyeballs and not being able to get it out, then a stinging like razorblades on my eyebrows. My eyes were pretty much swollen shut, I could only see a tiny amount and my eyes were weeping with a lot of puss. My mum said I looked like a big frog because my eyebrows had folded over and my eyes were horribly swollen. It had swollen into a large rock-hard area and was completely numb.

Durie was taken to the hospital where doctors treated her with antihistamines and told her that she had suffered from an unusual reaction that could have caused her to go blind.

Facebook

The teen's reaction worsened over the next four days.

Durie recounted the awful experience, stating,

I was beginning to get blisters in my eyebrows which was really painful, then my eyelashes started falling out. I had puss and tears coming out of my eye 24/7 and was left in a lot of pain and inexpiable discomfort. I was in shock, I was crying and really stressed, I was terrified of losing my eyesight at such a young age.

The harrowing eyebrow incident left Durie with chemical burns on her eyeballs, which could trigger a deadly reaction if they come in contact with paraphenylenediamine again.

As a result, Durie has to schedule regular visits with an optometrist to monitor the damage caused by the dye.

Facebook

Now Durie is on a mission to warn people about the possible consequences of using hair dye without reading the instructions or conducting patch tests.

According to Durie,

I went through inexplicable pain just by tinting my eyelashes and eyebrows, I'm never using dye on myself ever again. I didn't realize I was allergic to paraphenylenediamine (PPD), I did it to myself, I made a mistake and I'm now trying to protect others. I tell everyone now to do a patch test and show them the pictures from my reaction as a warning.

Hopefully, Durie's eye-opening photos convince other people to check for allergens before using chemical-laden beauty products.