Taking care of breakage and split ends entails a multi-pronged approach, but one of the most important things you can do is make sure you're using the right products for your hair. To find out more about the best split end treatments, Elite Daily spoke with several top hair stylists to get their their product recommendations and lifestyle tips. Keep reading for their expert advice.
What are the best products to repair split ends?
- Treating split ends starts in the shower. If you have hair that’s susceptible to damage, look for nourishing and strengthening shampoos and conditioners, suggests Jamie Wiley.
- Apply a thermal protectant to create a barrier between your hair and the heat from your blow dryer, straightener, or curling iron, says celebrity hair stylist Joseph Maine.
- Celebrity stylist Sunnie Brook says it’s smart to incorporate a hair mask into your routine. You can use these in place of conditioner, weekly or more regularly.
- Salon owner Savannah St. Jean says your choice of brush really matters. Choose one that's gentle on wet hair when it’s at its most fragile.
How else can you treat and prevent split ends?
- Global education manager Alicia Bailey suggests getting a trim every six to eight weeks (or every eight to 12 weeks for curly-haired clients). Maine agrees, and says “Regular haircuts are a must.” At the minimum, Maine advises a "dusting" once a season.
- Gently blot as much water out of your hair with your towel before applying any products. That's “key for maximizing the effectiveness of your products and ensuring your split ends are kept at bay,” Brook says.
To learn more about the best treatments for split ends, scroll on.
We only recommend products we love and that we think you will, too. We may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was written by our Commerce team.