Ww Heart It

Sun Shining On Nutella Jar Allegedly Causes House Fire That Kills Dog

By

Chocolate is dangerous to more than just your diet.

A Twickenham, England family will have to find somewhere else to live for a full year after a glass Nutella jar sparked a fire that burned down much of their house and killed their dog, Chili.

Get West London reports 41-year-old Declan Murphy and his wife, Lindsay, left home this past Sunday afternoon to celebrate their anniversary, and brought along their young daughter and son.

While they were out, however, an empty jar being used as loom band storage was left in the sun that was pouring in their daughter's bedroom. The glass reportedly refracted the sunbeams, sparking a fire in her blinds.

As smoke and flames spread through the house, the Murphy family's 9-year-old Jack Russell was unable to escape. Heartbreakingly, he died of smoke inhalation.

Charlie Pugsley, an investigator for the local fire department, told press his unit has seen at least 125 fires from sun-related incidents in the past five years.

He said, "These sort of fires are not as rare as you would think."

"I've seen everything from sparkly door knobs to crystal balls starting fires."

Although firefighters arrived in time to put out the blaze, Murphy said his family was “heartbroken” over Chili's loss.

He added, "I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this."

The lesson: Think twice before you set glass in a sunny place.

Citations: Jack Russell terrier dies in house fire sparked by sun rays shining on a Nutella jar (Daily Mail)