Troy Mackinlay Shares Burns Pics After House Fire
A teenager who was almost killed in a house fire in October 2016 has shared a shocking picture of the burns he suffered from the flames.
Described by doctors as “one of the worst cases” they had ever seen, the chance of Troy MacKinlay surviving the ordeal was less than five percent.
However, the 19-year-old has battled back and is slowly recovering from the devastating fire that broke out at his grandma's home in County Durham, England.
Troy asked his sister, Abra Wood, to post a picture of him on Facebook. It was uploaded with the caption, “This is me, if you don't like it then do one.”
Abra, 25, said,
I couldn't believe it when he said, 'Take a picture of me and put it on Facebook.' He didn't care what people thought — he just wanted to show people how much the doctors and nurses really had done. People were shocked at the picture, but he looks a million times better now than he did in the beginning.
Since she posted the picture of Troy, the family has received a wave of support from strangers, and the image has been shared 3,500 times and liked over 7,000 times.
His family has also started a JustGiving page that has raised £1,500 ($1,900).
One of the nurses who looked after Troy after the fire wrote on Facebook,
Well done Troy, I looked after you on your last night before you moved to the burns unit. I said from the start this will all be a memory soon and you will get there. Keep up your hard work my darling.
Firefighters were called to the home on October 14, and found Troy and his cousin, Tommie Vayro, escaping the burning building.
Troy lost all his fingers as a result of the blaze, and doctors at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary have needed to perform skin grafts just to keep him alive. He suffered 90 percent burns.
His family is working with Katie Piper, a woman who had acid thrown in her face and later set up a foundation for burns victims.