A 'Demonic' iPhone Charger Almost Electrocuted A Man To Death While He Slept

by Robert Anthony
Wiley Day

Be extremely careful when charging your smartphones, people!

If you keep your iPhone plugged in underneath your pillow or have your phone close to you while you sleep, you could be setting yourself up for a world of excruciating pain or even death.

That's exactly what one man experienced when he was woken up by nearly 110 volts of electricity  sent through his body while he slept. The culprit? His charging iPhone.

According to the Washington Post, a 32-year-old Alabama man named Wiley Day was rushed to the hospital after his necklace accidentally touched exposed prongs on an extension cord connected to his phone charger.

Day, who was sleeping, sustained second- and third-degree burns to his neck and hands. The man is said to be lucky to be alive considering the fact 100 volts is all you need to be faced with death.

Wiley Day spoke to the Washington Post about the horrifying experience, saying it was "the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience."

I don't have enough adjectives to describe it.


Wiley Day

The report states Day's eyesight began to fade away and it "felt as if he were trying to see out of a peephole" as he was being electrocuted.

It wasn't until the 32-year-old man began shouting for family members to come help him that his niece went running into his room.

She said I kept yelling 'Jesus!' When I came to and figured out what happened, I literally stood straight up, and I said, 'Oh my God, I think I just got electrocuted.'

His niece then informed him she had seen smoke billowing out of the extension cord next to his bed. Eventually, Day mustered up the strength to pull the necklace off of himself.

Had I not pulled that necklace off when I did... I just believe that God spared my life, and that's what happened.

Pulling the necklace off left burns on both of his hands.

Wiley Day

Huntsville physician Benjamin Fail spoke to WAAY News about the incident, explaining,

He is lucky to be alive. Electrocution kills.

Um, I think I'll be charging my phone in a totally separate room from now on! The alarming stats regarding annual extension cord deaths will probably inspire you to do the same.

Citing data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the American Burn Association (ABA) states 4,700 resident fires are started annually due to extension cords.

Out of these 4,700 fires, about 50 deaths and 280 injuries are reported as a result. The ABA's website reads,

Hot plugs and sockets are often caused by deteriorated connections to the cord wires. Many older cords are made with small wire that can overheat easily. Check the temperature of extension cords when they are in use. If they are hot to the touch, disconnect the appliance.

So, what is Wiley Day's advice for people who MUST have their phones close to them while they sleep?

I found out most people were using extension cords because they were still on their devices in bed. I mean, it's sad but true. From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed. I mean, it's not worth it. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on my worst enemy.


Citations: A Man Was Nearly Electrocuted To Death By His iPhone Charger While He Slept (BroBible)