Stocksy

There's A Seriously Terrifying Flesh-Eating Virus Going Around This State

People in Texas are going to be seriously skeptical about taking a dip in the sea after this: A man caught a flesh-eating virus and had to have his leg amputated.

Brian Parrott, 50, is fighting for his life in the hospital after he spent time splashing about with his children and granddaughter off a beach in Galveston on Sunday, June 12.

His mom, Donna Dailey, told FOX 26 Houston,

You go swimming with your family on Sunday, you go to work on Monday, you have a red leg on Tuesday, Wednesday you have boils on your leg, Thursday you lose the leg.
FOX 28

It is thought -- but not confirmed -- that Brian may have picked up Vibrio, which is a bacteria found in coastal waters that can be caught through open wounds. Vibrio can also be caught through contaminated seafood, like uncooked shellfish.

Doctors are trying to stop the infection from spreading to other parts of Brian's body.

ABC

There have been 24 cases of the virus so far this year, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.

Here's the official advice:

How To Avoid Getting A Vibrio Infection