They say, as a parent, it's important to spend time with your kid. You know, invest in the things they are invested in, support them in all their endeavors.
But one Spokane, Washington mother may have taken that advice a little too much to heart.
An unnamed 15-year-old boy and his 17-year-old brother have been charged with running a prostitution ring out of their mother's house.
Local NBC station KHQ reports, the 17-year-old boy, referred to as "T.H.," was arrested in February on shooting charges. T.H. had reportedly been making threats against witnesses, warning them not to talk to the police.
To ensure witness safety, police tapped the phones in the Spokane County Juvenile Detention Center where T.H. was incarcerated.
The police overheard T.H. tell his little brother, referred to as "D.H.," how to run his prostitution ring. D.H. reportedly used Backpage.com to advertise the underage girls.
Police set up a sting operation and met with some of the alleged prostitutes.
To make matters much, much worse, the girls told the police, the boys' mother was in on the action and received a 25 percent cut from the profits.
The two boys are now facing some pretty hefty charges.
According to KHQ, here are all of the charges D.H. is facing:
- Charge 1: Exploiting a minor for sexual purposes
- Charge 2: Possession of depictions of minors
- Charge 3: Dealing sexually explicit material
- Charge 4: Promoting travel for the purpose of sex with minors
- Charge 5: Promoting sex with minors
- Charge 6: Conspiracy to promote travel for the purpose of sex with minors
- Charge 7: First Degree Robbery
According to KHQ, here are all of the charges T.H. is facing:
- Charge 1: First Degree Assault with a firearm (6 charges in all, due to victims involved)
- Charge 2: Promoting sex with a minor
- Charge 3: Promoting commercial sex abuse of a minor
- Charge 4: Leading organized crime
- Charge 5: Promoting prostitution
- Charge 6: Conspiracy to promote commercial sex abuse of a minor
Moral of the story: Never go into business with your kids.