18 Facts You Didn't Know About Sam Smith To Make You Love Him Even More
Sam Smith is taking the world by storm -- there is no denying that. He came out of the woodwork after he first appeared on Disclosure's "Latch" and built off his success with three hit singles of his own.
At only 22 years old, he has already accomplished far more than most people his age. He's sung a duet with a legend, covered another legend's famous track and even has a number one selling album.
The most impressive thing I did by the time I turned 22 was graduating from college...
Well, as with any star on the rise, we want to know the inner facts of his life. So, today, I am going to tell you everything you ever wanted to know about this young star.
1. His album, In The Lonely Hour, kicked Coldplay’s Ghost Stories out of the top spot.
And it is now the fastest selling debut album of 2014 thus far!
2. He is 22 years old and has a number 1 album...
Yeah, he was born in 1992. That's how old my brother is... I feel highly incompetent.
3. Oh, did I mention he also has three number 1 hit singles?
His first hit was Naughty Boy’s "La La La," which he is featured on. This was followed by his two solo pieces "Money On My Mind" and "Stay With Me." "La La La" kicked Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" out of the top spot during May of last year.
It only lasted a week in this position, as it was soon replaced by Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines."
4. He is the third cousin of the singer Lily Allen and her brother, Alfie Allen, who acts in "Game of Thrones."
Clearly, I was born into the wrong family, sorry Dad.
5. He sold out his entire UK tour for spring 2014
We just hope he adds more dates!
6. Smith was named Brit's Critic Choice Award of 2014
He beat out Chloe Howl and Ella Eyre for this honor. He was also named BBC Sound of 2014, beating out fellow Cambridge singer-songwriter Nick Mulvey.
7. He battles with OCD, which he frequently discusses on Twitter
I have really bad OCD at the moment — SAM SMITH (@samsmithworld) April 7, 2014
This guy is not ashamed about any aspect of his life and enjoys engaging with his fans so they can get to know the real him.
8. He got all-star R&B legend Mary J. Blige to sing a duet with him
And it's beyond epic.
9. His noteworthy Whitney Houston cover of "How Will I Know" was first aired on an episode of "Grey's Anatomy"
Hey, Shonda Rhimes, I give you big props on this one. Sure, you may use the "I'm going to hug you now" line on every show you have helped create, but I will let that slide because this cover is truly moving.
10. Before he was who he is today, he worked at a bar, scrubbing toilets
Well, this makes me feel a hell of a lot better, as my first job was working at a movie theater...
11. His inspiration for his album In The Lonely Hour was a guy he liked who didn't like him back
In an interview with Fader, Smith revealed that "In the Lonely Hour is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place.
I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before." That guy is probably kicking himself now.
12. He has actually never been in a relationship before
Playing off this interview question from above, Smith has never actually been in a relationship before. His limited dating experience seems to be because he keeps falling for people who don't love him back.
He is apparently drawn to the idea of unrequited love and, honestly, it seems to be working for him because I can't stop listening to his album.
13. He is an old soul who doesn't want fame to go to his head
Unlike most stars on the rise, Sam Smith wants the opposite of fame and what it has to offer. In the same interview with Fader, he explained how he wants to "grow a bit over the next few years."
His priorities seem to be on point: "I want to see the world. I want to be rich in all the foods I've tasted and all the places I’ve been and all the people I’ve kissed. I want to be rich in every single way."
14. He considers himself a feminist
After being raised by his power City banker of a mother and stay-at-home father, Smith regards himself as a feminist. He was constantly surrounded by strong females, which is what shaped his outlook.
His musical icons are mostly female, his favorites including: Whitney Houston, Beyoncé and Etta James. He told Boston Globe, “All I know is, female voices truly make me feel. Male voices just don’t hit that spot.”
15. He sings Bruno Mars songs better than Mars himself
No explanation needed once you watch this video...
16. Even Taylor Swift got a piece of Mr. Sam Smith
The pair performed a duet of "Money On My Mind" together during her Red Tour stop at the O2 Arena in London, back in February 2014 of this year.
17. He is obsessed with "Modern Family"
Eric Stonestreet, who plays Cameron Tucker on the show, brought Sam Smith to laughter when he surprised him with a video call during this year's Bonnaroo.
Apparently, this is the best thing that has happened to Smith in quite a while, which really shows how much he loves the television program. To see the video, click here.
18. He is a trained Jazz Singer
Who would've known how talented this young 22-year-old singer would really turn out to be? During his teenage years, Smith trained in the jazz department. He also sang as a backup singer for his vocal coach during small London gigs. Now who's schooling whom?