In Gen-Y, it is extremely common to have a best friend of the opposite sex, no matter your age.
My mother always told me that those types of friendships never work out. She would say, "One of you is bound to fall in love with the other. You can't be that close to a guy without wanting him in some way." She's right.
Someone always ends up having feelings for the other, regardless of the initial intention. I have seen friends fall in love with their male or female friends for all sorts of reasons, whether it's being comfortable or being sexually attracted to the person.
Here are 15 ways to know for sure that you’re falling in love with your best friend.
1. You text him or her all the time.
Closeness is normal in a friendship, but texting someone of the opposite sex morning, afternoon and night creates a different type of relationship.
2. You care about his or her happiness more than you do other friends.
You care about his or her wants and needs to ensure absolute happiness.
3. You can finish his or her sentences.
You can practically read your friend’s mind.
4. You can tell him or her anything without feeling at all uncomfortable.
You can share personal stories and talk about touchy subjects. It doesn’t matter because you know your “friend” will listen to whatever you have to say.
5. In a crowd, you'll look for him or her first.
At a party or a bar, you don't care about seeing anyone else but your best friend during the first five minutes.
6. "I thought of you when..."
You think of your BFF at random moments throughout the day — and often.
7. You feel jealous when he or she talks about someone else.
Jealousy sucks. Period.
8. You think about drunk texting him or her every weekend.
Drunk words are sober thoughts.
9. Hugs are more than hugs to you...
There’s some sexual tension every time you even casually embrace.
10. Your entire family knows him or her.
You talk about this person to your family — I think it’s a big deal, at least.
11. When something good happens, you want to tell this person first.
Your BFF loves to listen to you talk about your accomplishments… and you love to talk about them.
12. When something bad happens, you want to tell the person first.
His or her shoulder is yours on which to cry.
13. You look at him or her for a little too long.
It’s not a bad thing; admire away.
14. This person really, really, really matters to you.
His or her presence in your life means the world to you and you wouldn't have it any other way.
15. You actually picture yourself with this person.
It's always fun to imagine what could possibly happen, right?
I think it is always best to go after what you want. If this person is really your best friend, then he or she won't judge your feelings. You never know what could happen.
In the words of Drake, "A chance is like a picture; it'd be nice if you just take it."