English researchers asked 2,000 English adults about what makes a "full" life to compile a list of the 50 achievements everyone should do at least once to have the most exciting and fruitful life imaginable.
The survey found the two most crucial elements to enjoying life to be not worrying about money and not caring what other people think.
Also among these essential steps to immense happiness were losing weight, performing live on stage, traveling to 25 foreign countries, learning a new language and of course, finding true love.
But like any realistic list about having fun, an all-night drinking session along with a one night stand and a spontaneously reckless shopping spree were all featured as well.
The study revealed that the average person has done just 8 of the 50 listed achievements and only 23% of the adults polled believed they are already "living life to the fullest."
A spokesman for the poll said "The research is really interesting because much of the top 50 list focuses on experiences and achievements rather than having more material possessions. And that's exactly what the term 'living life to the full' means - it's getting to that point in life where you are enjoying each moment, from the thrills and adventures to the routine of everyday."
A third of the people polled said that their definition of living life to the fullest means working to live rather than living to work.
"The research indicates people want to relax into their lives in order to enjoy it by stopping all the worries about what other people are thinking, how much money they have - and as number nine in the list shows concentrating on what you do have rather than what you don't is of great importance,'' the spokesman continued.
While a great deal of the polled adults focused mainly on self-cultivation, a select few focused on becoming valiant heroes who set a wise example. 12% said they would like to physically rescue someone and 26% said they would want to be highly regarded by family and friends.
Other important achievements include driving a really fast car, starting a family, paying off debts and getting a degree.
And in order to truly live life to the fullest, these English adults say they want to have reached their desired career peak by the age of 40.
The study shows that 38% claim they don't fill their lives with fun and fruitful experiences because they don't have the time to whereas 65% just believe they can't afford to do all these things at this moment in time.
85% said that if money wasn't a factor, they would have easily had the majority of the list checked off by now.
Just 4 in 10 said that the need to please others stops them from accomplishing similar goals. 17 percent were brave enough to confess that it's nothing but natural fear that's holding them back.
The full list is below:
1. Stop worrying about money
2. Stop worrying about what other people think
3. Take two holidays a year
4. Enjoy little comforts in life
5. Experience different cultures
6. Work to live rather than live to work
7. Pay off all debts
8. Be true to yourself
9. Concentrate on what you have instead of what you don't have
10.Use money on experiences rather than saving for a rainy day
11. Make time for family and friends
12. Try all types of food
13. Find true love
14. Travel to at least 25 different foreign countries
15. Go outside more
16. Learn a new language
17. Be well thought of by family and friends
18. Help a member of your family out when they really need it
19. Lose a stone in weight
20. Treat each day like it's your last
21. Visit all of Britain's historical landmarks
22. Book an impulsive last minute holiday
23. Volunteer for a good cause
24. Take up a challenge
25. Go on safari
26. Blow a load of money in one shopping trip, just because you can
27. Learn a new instrument
28. Be married for longer than 20 years
29. Have enough money left for the grandchildren to enjoy
30. Start a family
31. Earn more than your age
32. Have a pet
33. Drive a really fast car
34. Travel alone
35. Be able to keep the kids on the straight and narrow
36. Meet strangers
37. Move away from home to an unfamiliar place
38. Have a one night stand
39. Pass your driving test
40. Get a degree
41. Rescue someone so that you're a hero for a little while
42. Date someone exciting but completely wrong for you
43. Get a promotion
44. Reach the desired career peak by age 40
45. Have an all-night drinking session
46. Perform something on stage in front of others
47. Snog a stranger
48. Plan a surprise party
49. Embark on adrenaline packed activities such as sky diving or bungee jumping
50. Spend time with children even if they aren't yours