I’m not sure when exactly it happened, but I somehow transitioned from never being able to imagine settling down to being open to the idea.
For us guys, that’s saying a lot.
The only problem is I haven’t yet found her. It’s a pretty sh*tty feeling to be ready to devote your life to someone and have no one there to devote your life to. It’s not that I don’t have options -- we all do.
In our day and age, we all have at least a handful of individuals we could date, we could love, we could potentially settle down with.
But even if at the moment we haven’t yet met someone, we will -- if we’re lucky -- meet him or her sooner than later.
Of course, it’s not just that simple. It’s not just about meeting someone we believe we could marry or spend our life with.
It’s about finding that one person we feel we need to spend our life with.
Marriage seems almost unnatural, but it could be the most natural thing in the world.
It’s all about saying “I do,” but not just once -- you have to be able to say “I do” every single day for the rest of your life.
And not just your regular “I do’s”; you’re going to have to try all 50 of these on for size:
1. I do believe we can create a beautiful life together.
2. I do want to wake up next to you every single day.
3. I do want to take care of you when you’re sick.
4. I do want to be your shoulder to cry on.
5. I do want to be your rock.
6. I do love you -- always have, always will.
7. I do see us as a team.
8. And I do plan on working as a team.
9. I do believe you are the most beautiful soul I’ve ever met.
10. I do/do not want to have kids, just like you.
11. I do want to grow old together.
12. I do want to support your passions.
13. I do want you there for me.
14. I do want you by my side, walking hand in hand through life.
15. I do care.
16. I do worry.
17. I do fear losing you.
18. I do want to hold on to you for as long as I can.
19. Because I do know, one day, I will lose you.
20. I do plan on being the best husband/wife you could have ever asked for.
21. I do understand I will need to sometimes make compromises, and I will make them.
22. I do love you more than life itself, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
23. I do understand what you mean to me.
24. And I do promise to never forget.
25. I do owe my happiness to you.
26. I do promise to work on making you happy every single day for the rest of my life.
27. I do need you.
28. I do want you.
29. I do understand how lost I would be without you.
30. I do promise to never stop working on myself.
31. Because I do know you deserve a man/woman even better than I.
32. I do understand how incredibly lucky I am to have found you.
33. I do understand how blessed I am that, out of everyone else in the world, you chose to love me.
34. I do want this -- more than anything.
35. I do feel as if we were meant to be together, as if the stars have finally aligned.
36. I do understand no one is perfect.
37. And I do know we will both make mistakes.
38. But I do promise to stick this out until the end and never abandon you.
39. Because I do know you’re worth it.
40. I do want to be there with you during the inevitable hard times.
41. And I do want to be the driving force behind the good times.
42. I do want you to be my everything.
43. And I do want to be yours.
44. I do want you to be my life -- my whole life.
45. I do want to fight your battles for you when you can’t fight them yourself.
46. I do want to be the father, mother, partner, lover I know I can be and you deserve.
47. I do want to be in this together, from this day forth, until death do us part.
48. I do want to be there for you when you take your last breath.
49. But I do hope you’re not there for mine… I want to save you that heartache.
50. I do.