He’s A Dirtbag: 25 Telltale Signs You Have A Sh*tty Boyfriend
Sure, he's annoying when he loses his keys for the 10th time, but there are certain things your boyfriend does that you shouldn't let slide.
If your boyfriend or significant other is doing any of the following, it might be time to rethink your relationship:
1. Making you feel bad about being yourself
So you like to randomly speak in accents and you really like buying office/school supplies. He needs to be okay with your little quirks.
2. Going a whole day without saying “I love you”
It’s not that hard to say at least once a day.
3. Not having any explanation when you confront him for not saying, “I love you”
If he doesn’t have a reason for not letting you know you’re special, there’s something wrong.
4. Making you feel like it’s inconvenient to spend time together
If he’s constantly too busy to see you, you’re too fabulous to wait around for him to become available.
5. Trying to keep you from away from things you love
Whether it’s time with your sorority sisters, going to concerts or crafting, the activities you enjoy are important and you should never be served an ultimatum that forces you to choose between your passions and him.
6. Not offering to pay for anything… at all… ever
Some couples like to split things more often than others and that’s fine, but if you’ve never once heard, "Babe, let me take care of it,’’ that’s not okay.
7. Shutting you up when you try to explain why you’re upset
You should never feel like you can’t talk to him about something he’s done that hurt you.
8. Continually neglecting to hold your hand in public
You should be able at least remember the last time it happened.
9. Never offering to hold a door open for you
He doesn't have to open every door in the world for you, but you shouldn’t be able to count on one hand the number of times it’s happened.
10. Putting your dreams down
Whether they involve school, your career or a hobby you’re passionate about, he should never make you feel like you can’t or shouldn’t chase the things you love.
11. Sitting everywhere but next to you
Especially when you’re watching a movie
12. Refusing to apologize when you two have a spat
That doesn’t mean that you don’t have to apologize, too, but nine times out of 10, both of you owe the other one an apology.
13. Dictating what you’re allowed to do
You should not feel like you have to ask for permission every time you want to go somewhere or do something. Spending the day with your girlfriends is a right you have, not a privilege your boyfriend grants you.
14. Yelling at you for things that are definitely not your fault
Like the fact that he has been looking for a whole two minutes for a parking space.
15. Taking hangry to an extreme
We’re all guilty of being grumpy when we need food, but that’s not an excuse for him to treat you like dirt.
16. Belittling your fears
If you need a little comfort because you’re worried about getting a job or think your best friend is mad at you, he shouldn’t be mocking your concerns.
17. Constantly trying to prove he’s smarter than you
A relationship is not the final round of "Jeopardy: Genius Edition."
18. Insulting your family members
Sure, your little brother might be a pest and your mother might be controlling, but there’s no excuse for him to disrespect them.
19. Refusing to buy you any kind of gift because he doesn’t “know what you like”
This is not a legitimate excuse for never giving you a birthday present, a small token in celebration of an anniversary or a candy bar because you’re having a bad day.
20. Not standing up for you
When a stranger or even one of his friends crosses the line and disrespects you, he needs to be right there, letting them know it’s not okay.
21. Making you feel guilty for spending time with anyone other than him
He might be your one and only, but he’s not the only person in your life who you value having a relationship with.
22. Downplaying your success because he’s jealous
When you do well, he should be celebrating with you, not minimizing your accomplishments because he’s envious that you’ve done something awesome.
23. Constantly backing out of plans
Sometimes things come up, but if you make plans far in advance, he shouldn’t always be the reason the two of you never follow through on them.
24. Promising to do something with no intention of keeping it
Can you control his behavior? No, but if he’s promised you since the day you first started dating that he’ll quit dipping, two years later, his life shouldn’t still be littered with tins.
25. Refusing to accept any physical or mental challenges you face
Perhaps you’re in your 20s, but you have arthritis or maybe you’ve been struggling with panic disorder since age 9. No matter what obstacle you face, he should be willing to try to understand these challenges in order to support you.